How to get to the Snake Farm Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute
The easiest way to the Snake Farm Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute is going by the Metro MRT - Blue Line. The Snake Farm is between the two Metro Stations Si Lom and Sam Yan.
Snake Farm History
In the year 1911 Momchaoying Banlusirisarn Diskul died, caused by rabies. As at that time Rabies Vaccine was not available in Thailand, the Royal family recognized the danger of this incurable disease and the necessity of having vaccine against it in Thailand.
The Interior Minister of that time, Prince Damrong Rajanubharb, asked King Vajiravudh for permission to establish a center of vaccine production and vaccination against rabies. With the permission of the King Vajiravudh, the first center on the royal property at Bamrung Muang Road had been built. This center was officially opened on April 26th 1913 under the name “Pastura Sabha”, which was later changed to the name “Sathan Pasteur”, it was under the direction of The Ministry of Interior until 1917. In 1917 the King Vajiravudh made the decision to transfer all its activities to the Thai Red Cross Society.
October 1919, Queen Saovabha Phongsri died, and in the year 1920 the King Vajiravudh decided to build a permanent building in Queen Saovabha's memory to be used for research in medical science. The new Insitue official opening with dedication on December 7th 1922, all activities of the Science Division were transferred to this new Institute, the old Sathan Pasteur got dissolved. King Vajiravudh named this scientific institution after his Mother, “QUEEN SAOVABHA MEMORIAL INSTITUTE”.
Nowadays the snake farm is an important part of the Thai Red Cross - Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute. The Snake Farm service starts from education for public, tourists, government and private organization, school and university in order to understand snakes habit and improve attitude on snakes.
Visit the Snake Farm, adults pay 200 Baht, Children pay 50 Baht.